
Note: before we begin.........there are some disturbing 'milk' pictures out there......so be careful when you google.
There I was, going to buy groceries. We nip out to the nearest Walmart (God's gift, Satan's empire). I decide to buy some of the refrigerated food first and take it out to 'the sport van' since it is mind numbingly cold here in God's country.........and I can't fit all of the love bugs in the cart with all of the food. (Duggars.........I love you, how do you do it? I guess that whole partner thing really works......anyway, we don't have partners). So the love bugs and I buy the cold items and I take the goods out to the car through the pelting ice, known to some as snow. I go back, finish the shopping and race back out to throw everyone/thing in the car. I'm strapping Mini Bob in the car seat and Ri decides to help load the remaining food. She looks put off and concerned. Like the beast I am I go back to see why she can't just put the bags in so she can get in and get warm. Then I see the horrible disaster that will follow us for weeks...........
Notice on the milk jug.........that circle on the side. At some pivotal moment that area gave away and all of the milk up to that point leaked out into the back of the van.
Okay...........seriously another reason I was in such a hurry is because it was date night......and believe me people, I take my dating VERY seriously.
We stash the rest of the goods in various areas of the van and slosh home. As I am taking the kids/food in Jason whips out the 'Little Green Clean Machine'. That's not a pet name..........it's a carpet cleaner. He slurps up all the milk he can.........which is freezing into the carpet at this point and then adds tons of hot water. Oh, happy day, we leave and go on our date. I stop thinking about the milk.
Days later the weather begins to warm up. I open the van door to put the baby in and a stench like no other slams into my face. I start looking for missing sippy cups, did a diaper get left in here? raccoons, squirrels, unreported vomit, ........yeah, I'm too dumb to remember the spilled milk. I find myself not wanting to roll down the window and chat with friends while I wait for the kids at school. I try not to put myself in situations where I will have to give rides to anyone. When I am too ashamed to park in a public lot and open the van doors Duh! I realize the milk must not have come out of the carpet.
Jason tries one more valiant effort to clean the carpet by pouring 15 gallons of hot water in the back of the van. When that fails to impede the grotesque odor Jason has to pull out the carpet. No joke did you know that there is actually carpet padding under automotive carpet? It's not like I toodle around in there all day in bare feet and lounge on the floor reading. Seriously.......carpet padding? Who knew?
A giant box of lavender and baking soda carpet deodorizer and it's like a brand new van. Riley and Jack, thank me now since this will someday be your legacy. I can just see you now hangin' with your peeps on the country streets of the Glen in your sweet ride.
Moral of the story........if you ever spill any 'liquid' in your trunk.........pull out the pad right away.





4 comments:
Nasty!
I stand by my whole theory that milk is gross.And spilled milk is worse. I might have had to get just trade the vehicle in had it been me.
That's worse than finding a who-knows-how-old- hidden sippy cup full of curdled milk. Glad you got it cleaned out.
I was hooked from the very beginning of your story. Funny but I feel your pain also :) Seriously that reading of yours has paid off. You are a great writer!
Post a Comment