Let me know if I'm a nut here, but I don't want to let my midgies go on field trips with school. Jack has a trip to the wave pool coming up and I don't think I am going to send him. I wouldn't mind, except they are not allowing parents to come. Also Ri has a trip to the zoo coming up and they have mysteriously chosen parents to attend and I am not one of them. I am trying to make it seem like it is her decision not to go, but she is deciding under extreme duress. I am sure at some point in my life I will allow things such as this, but not while they are so little and vulnerable.
Two Weddings and That's It
1 year ago





5 comments:
Amy...I completely understand how you feel on this. Letting Josh go on fields trips was hard for me, especially ones that weren't in walking distances of the school...but I have allowed him to go to all field trips so far. However, his class this year is going to Thanksgiving Point and I am FREAKING out about it cause that is the furtherest the school has gone and I just don't have a good feeling about it. Sometimes you just have to allow kids to do things but then other times you just have to go with your feelings about things and not let them go.
I'm completely paranoid about field trips. My kids have never missed a field trip, but I go on almost every one with them (I think I've missed maybe two). What made my paranoia complete was when I went with Cora on a field trip to the county fair. Her class happened to have a substitute that day, and that substitute had no idea what she was doing (no plan, let people split up, lost track of people, etc.) I was so glad I was there that day. Of course, it's not always going to be like that. I think the best thing to do is to try not to let your paranoia control your decision, but at the same time, follow your intuition. Your a great mom!
Not that I have anything new to add to the great advice above, but I feel the same way! I want to protect them but I also want them to have lots of cool experiences!! So if I can't go (which is usually the case with two kids at home), then I just send them and try to stay very busy to keep my mind off of it until they get home again!! (And they always come home happy and well!) Good luck!
Thanks guys. Sometimes I feel like a real jerk. Jack opted not to go to the pool, on his own, and he stayed home and we did some cool stuff. He really lacks attention right now because our lives revolve around Ri's baseball. I would have let him go, I decided, with a life jacket!! I will probably let Ri go to the zoo if she wants, but I'm still going to bribe her out of it by taking her myself BEFORE the field trip.
Okay, So I know that I don't have kids and all, BUT I think that it totally depends on where they are going, what they are doing, and what teacher they have. If the parents that ARE going are friends, or if there is someone there with an IN, then it would lessen my personal paranoia. However, bad teacher + weirdo parent-aides = Bad Combo = No Go. That is my opinion. Take it if you wish. PS, I LOVED the Tags written by your kiddos. Especially Madisons... "they help me color".... Classic!
Mand
Post a Comment